This Fundraising Glossary is intended to support understanding of terms used in Fundraising. In some cases, definitions for key terms are accompanied by examples. Note that examples are not comprehensive; not all examples will be relevant, applicable, or appropriate to all organizations.
- Configurations - Configurations allow you to set up types and statuses for opportunities. See types and statuses for more information.
Custom Fields - Custom fields in fundraising allow you to record additional information about opportunities. They can be a powerful tool to address specific scenarios, and they can be used for reporting and tracking information. You can set up custom fields to capture information as a text box, a dropdown, a checkbox list, or a date.
- Example: You may wish to set up custom fields to track specific information for grant opportunities.
Files - External files associated with a profile.
- Example: PDF file of an event venue contract.
Notes - Notes capture important information you need to record in your system that has been completed. Notes are different from tasks because they convey information to other system users, but they do not require a specific action.
- Example: A note for a grant opportunity might include the date that the Board approved the grant application to be submitted.
Opportunities - Opportunities are a tool used to keep track of grants for which your nonprofit has applied. When you set up an opportunity you can assign it a name, type, status, and multiple other options.
- Example: A grant opportunity can be set up for a grant your nonprofit has applied for that will supply equipment for afterschool programs, or it could be a grant for a specific amount of money your nonprofit needs to provide a service.
Status - Status is a field that allows you to define a stage of an opportunity.
- Example: You might set up different statuses such as planning, drafting, submitted, approved, or denied.
Tasks - A task in fundraising allows users to set up an activity that is related to a fundraising opportunity. Tasks serve as a reminder of specific actions that need to be completed and will show up in the dashboard under "Upcoming Tasks", including information about the task description, name, and due date.
- Example: A task for a grant opportunity might include gathering data from a specific program manager to submit as part of a grant application.
- Type - Type is a field that allows you to further define an opportunity. Types can be set up for specific opportunities.