This tutorial will walk you through how to export information from Foundant GLM and import it into FIMS.
These instructions are specific for importing into the FIMS Grants Module.
Exporting Grants/Scholarships from Foundant and Importing Grants/Scholarships into FIMS - It is best practice to prepare your report after recording your decisions in GLM.
- From your Foundant GLM site, click on Reporting in the top navigation and select Reports & Data Sources from the drop-down list.
If you do not already have a report created for this instance, follow the steps below:
- Select “Add New Data Set” from the top right corner of the page
- Give this data set a name and a description (not required) and select “Create Data Set”
- Select a process or processes and select the following Request Statuses: Approved (including all Follow Up options), Denied, and Closed. Then select “Save Filters”
- Add the fields you will need in your report. These may include the organization contact fields, Project Name, Process Name, Amount Awarded and any additional form fields that are necessary
- Once all the fields you need are under the Selected Fields box, select “Run New Report”
- Make sure everything looks correct and click “CSV” at the top of the report to export the data as a .csv file
- The file should download to your computer. Locate the file and open it using Microsoft Excel
- Populate/edit any data needed
- Format the amount awarded and amount requested as General
- Save the file as a .csv file – remember the location for the import process
- For a Grant Import, go to the FIMS Grants Module and select Grant Import under File Maintenance. (For a scholarship import, we recommend using the FIMS Scholarship Import module).
- Select the correct Import File
- Since there will be a header row in your import file you will want to start your Import Row from row 2
- Fill out the Grant Import screen and then you have the option to save those selections for future imports by selecting “Defaults” and then select “Add” from the next pop up.
- The next time you complete an import using the same settings you can select the template you have just added.
- If you have already created a default template, feel free to use that at this time instead of manually completing each field on the Grant Import screen.
- This can be done by selecting “Defaults”, choosing the correct template, clicking “Load Selection” and then clicking “Done”.
- Select the correct Import File
- Check the import layout (note there are several radio buttons for Profile, Contact and Other at the top of the screen and General Coding, Population Coding, Additional Detail and Other at the bottom of the screen).
- When using the Scholarship Import module you will have the ability to import the FIMS user-defined fields.
- Click Import to start the Grant Import process click “Run Report”
- A preliminary page will appear to show you some basic information about the import. If you see that there are errors, you will not be able to import the data. Close the window to cancel the import, return to the csv file to fix the errors.
- When you cancel the import you will have to start from the beginning of the FIMS import process (Step 2 above).
- If the information is correct, click on Create Grants.
- Review the imported application records in FIMS. If you find that there are problems you can easily either correct the applications in FIMS or delete the applications, correct the information in Foundant and redo the export/import process.
TIPS: A possible error is having blank columns in the export file from Foundant. If this occurs simply open your import (csv) file in excel and delete the blank columns and resave the file as csv. Rerun the import in FIMS and make sure you check the column fields you selected in case they have changed if you removed or resorted columns.
Columns containing award and requested amounts should be formatted as general, stripped of any formatting.