A check was printed with an incorrect dollar amount on the physical check.
There are three possible scenarios and solutions for this. Move forward with the solution that best fits your situation.
- The check is still at your foundation (i.e. in your possession and hasn't been mailed).
- Solution: Void the check and repay the voucher with the correct dollar amount.
- The check has already been mailed, and you realize that you didn't pay the full amount. You could also still have the check, but you don't want to void it.
- Solution: As long as you're okay with sending two checks, you can pay the remaining portion with a second payment (i.e. check).
- You catch the mistake while reviewing the pdf of your checks before you've printed the actual physical check(s).
- Solution: Remove the check(s) from the batch, delete, and repay.
Void the Check
- Navigate to the Checks page and click the Checking account.
- Click the Posted Checks bucket and click the CheckID of the check you want to void.
- Click Void in the left-side menu.
- Click [Yes] to confirm.
- The voided check will now appear in the Voided/Unused check bucket. Click the CheckID of the voided check.
- The voided check should show two transactions (journal entries).
Do not delete any journal entries associated with the voided check. You will not be able to reconcile your bank statement if any of the associated journal entries are deleted.
- Click  to edit the Void Reason.
- Click Update after entering the Void Reason.
Pay the Remaining Portion with a Second Payment
- Navigate to the Accounts Payable page and then click the Vendor Name.
- Add applicable information and then click Next.
- In the Pay Vouchers section, select the Payment Account and Payment Date.
- In the Open Vouchers section, enter the remaining balance of the payment into the Apply Amount field.
- Enter a Memo and then click Create Checks.
- The new check will now appear in the New check bucket. Click the CheckID of the new check to ensure the combined amount of both checks equals the total amount of the voucher.
Remove from Checkrun Batch, Delete, and Repay
- After reviewing the pdf of checks and realizing that an incorrect amount was entered for one or more checks, click Back in the left-side menu.
- Click [remove] next to the check that needs to be removed from the batch.
- The check has been removed from the list. Click Back in the left-side menu.
- In the Approved check bucket, click the CheckID of the check that you removed from the batch.
- Click Delete in the left-side menu.
- Click [Yes] to confirm delete.
- Click Pay in the left-side menu to return to Accounts Payable and complete the payment process.