To make a payment via a NACHA file generated by CommunitySuite, ACH credentials must be entered for both the profile receiving the payment and for the bank account making the payment. After these credentials have been entered, the Electronic option must be selected for the payment option. Once the check has been posted, return to the check screen and select the Download NACHA File option. Once that option is selected, a text file generates that can be uploaded to a bank's website to initiate an ACH transfer.
ABA File follows the same process as NACHA. Make sure ACH Format in System Data is set to ABA File and follow the same instructions.
Setting Up an Account for NACHA Use
An account needs two items to be NACHA ready: a vendor assigned to the account and ACH credentials.
- Navigate to the Accounts page and click the Bank Account that is making the payment.
- Click Edit in the left-side menu.
- Search for a vendor and click on their name in the dropdown.
- Click Save.
- Click Configure next to ACH Account Settings.
- Select the Account Type, and enter the corresponding information into each of these fields and then click Save.
This account is now set up for NACHA File use with a Vendor and ACH Account settings.
Setting Up a Vendor for NACHA Use
A vendor only needs ACH credentials to be set up for NACHA use.
- Navigate to the Vendors page and search for the vendor that is being paid. Click on the vendor name from the dropdown list.
- Click on their profile name to go to the vendor's profile.
- Click [Configure] next to ACH Settings.
- Fill out the account information for the vendor and click Save.
This vendor is now set up for NACHA File use with ACH settings.
If a vendor will always be paid by electronic check, setting the Default Payment Type to Electronic will default the payment to electronic check. Click Save once you have chose the Default Payment Type on the vendor's profile.
Download a NACHA File
Once the account and vendor receiving the payment are set up, the NACHA File is almost ready for download. The last item remaining is a payment being paid out to the vendor. The payment must be in an electronic format. Below, we will walk through the process on an example voucher being made out to the vendor.
- When creating the voucher, make sure that it is being made out to the correct vendor and expense account.
- Click Post & Get Approval (or Post if there are no approvers) in the left-side menu.
- Click I Approve in the left-side menu if applicable, then click Pay in the left-side menu.
- Select the NACHA Payment Account and select a Payment Date in the future.
- Select the item you are paying out.
- Click Next.
- Select Elec as the payment option.
- The payment option must be Electronic for NACHA File use.
- Click Create Checks.
- Click on the Check ID to go to the payment, then click Post in the left-side menu.
- Once the payment is posted, click List to return to the Checks page. From there, click Download NACHA File in the left-side menu.
- Enter a Payment Date, then click Export.
A text file should have exported that can be used to upload to a bank's website and start an ACH transfer.