Fund Balance is a report in Financials that shows the total, the principal and the spendable balance for specified Funds. The balances are initially set up during your implementation.
Traditionally, the balances are calculated as below:
- Fund Balance: Assets minus Liabilities.
- The fund balance is the total balance for the fund.
- Principal Balance: The historical gift balance.
- Any incoming donations will increase the principal balance of a fund.
- Spendable Balance: The spendable amount within the fund.
- This is determined by the Distribution Type set on the fund.
- Available Cash: The amount of cash available to spend.
- This is a separate balance from Spendable Balance which is calculated by the percentage of available cash on the investment account associated with the fund.
This data will show you the Fund, Fund Group (eg. Fiscal sponsorship, Unrestricted, Agency, etc). The columns include Permanently Restricted (PR), Temporarily Restricted (TR), Unrestricted (U), plus the total for the Fund, as well as the asset amount in the Principal balance and the Spendable.
Restrictions are exclusively for reporting purposes.
You may apply different filters from the top of the page to narrow the results.
- Go to Financials from the Home page
- Select Fund Balance from the left side of the screen
- Choose a date range
A basic report will show you the Fund Group, the individual Funds, the Total amount in the Fund and it will break out the amounts into the various restrictions you set up for each Fund as well as the Principle and Spendable amounts. If no restrictions are set up for a Fund you will see a column labeled ZZ.
- Pick Add Filter from the top of the screen to narrow down your results using Filters
Be sure when you run the Fund Balance report you select the correct dates. You can choose  next to the date to change the date or date range.
To clear any Financial Filters, choose [delete] at the top of the page.