Create a Negative Donation Record
Before beginning this process, we recommend locating the record of the original donation transaction that will get refunded.
1. From the Home page, click Donors.
2. Search for the donor by name, and select the correct donor from the drop-down list that appears.
3. On the left-side menu, click Add Donation.
4. Reference the original donation record to fill out the necessary fields and create a negative donation record.
- Ensure that all information entered except Date and Amount match the original donation record.
- For Date, enter the general ledger posting date for the refund.
- For Amount, enter a negative amount matching the original donation.
5. Click Process.
6. Click Post to complete the process for creating a negative donation record.
Create a Voucher to Refund the Donor
If a donor profile is not designated as a Vendor, follow the steps in the Make Vendor Profile article.
1. On the Profiles page, once vendor designation has been added under Profile Is, click Vendor.
- This will allow you to create a voucher to issue the donation refund.
2. Click Create Voucher on the left-side menu of the Vendors page.
3. Enter voucher details.
- For the Create Voucher table, add:
- Voucher Date
- Fund - this must match the fund for the donation
- Additional information as necessary
- For the Items table, add:
- Expense Account - select the bank account you are using to cut the refund check
- Unit Cost - this is the donation amount that your Foundation is refunding
- Click Save.
4. Post, approve, and pay the voucher.
When paying the voucher from the Accounts Payable page:
- Enter Payment Account and Payment Date in the Pay Vouchers table.
- Check the box for the voucher you are refunding on the far right under the Open Vouchers table.
- Click Next.
5. Click Create Checks.
6. Print and post checks as normal.