Different templates have different testing methods.
Many templates can be tested by clicking Verify/Test on the left-side menu after uploading a template.
Grant Letters, Internal Grant Letters, Pledge Payment Letters, Scholarship Letters, Tax Receipts, Honor and Memorial Tribute Letters, and Yearly Tax Receipts can be tested using Verify/Test.
- There must be a transaction in the system to test. You cannot test a tax receipt without having a donation record in the system. Create a donation first, then test the tax receipt. You can create a test donation in Sandbox. The same applies for other transactions that have templates.
- The system will choose which record to insert into the test. To test a particular transaction, navigate to that transaction and run the template.
- To test merge fields on a particular record, use the Template Fields List and add the corresponding ID to the search. This populates all the merge fields that have data on the ID.
- When you do this for fund statements and invoices, no results will be returned; however, it is still necessary as fund statements and invoices will not run if Verify/Test has not been completed.
- Templates will not appear in the drop-down of template options on tax receipts or letters until Verify/Test has been run.
Other Testing Methods
In your sandbox, go to any check and click Print Check. The system will generate a check without the amount. This is for accounting controls.
Event Ticket Receipt
You need a campaign with a ticket that's been sold. In the campaign, click on the name of the person who purchased the ticket. Select Ticket Receipt from the left-side menu, then select a method to generate the template.
If you have your campaign set up in your live site and have not sold any tickets, you can sync to Sandbox. Sell a ticket in Sandbox and test the template.
To test a fund statement, go to a fund record and select Manual Fund Statement from the left-side menu. You need both a fund statement template and a fund statement format.
Navigate to an open opportunity, select Print Letter from the left-side menu, and then select a method to generate the template.
Navigate to an open promise, select Payment Document from the left-side menu, and then select a method to generate the template.