After running a new report or opening a saved report, there are many actions you can take to work with the data. One of these options is adding a formula to the report. A formula allows you to perform a function on the data in a report. Some of these functions include:
- Perform mathematical functions on the data in your report.
- Use logical functions to replace data.
- Remove unwanted spaces or shorten text.
- Format a number as currency or a percentage.
- Format dates and time.
- Remove decimal points and round numbers.
- Calculate elapsed time.
- Count the number of characters in a response.
When you add a formula to a report, a new column is automatically added as well, containing the data resulting from the formula. Follow the steps below to add a formula to a report.
- On your report, click Formula.
- Enter a Name for the new column, which will contain the data resulting from the formula.
- Select a formula from the Formula drop-down (which will automatically insert it into the Formula box), or type a formula directly into the Formula box.
- You can also click Formula Help for a list and descriptions of common formulas.
- Once your formula is in the Formula box, place your cursor or highlight the placeholder text where you need to refer to an existing column of data in your report.
- Select the column from the Insert a Column drop-down, or manually type the label of the column inside brackets (e.g. [Project Name]). If you select the column from the drop-down, it will automatically insert where you placed your cursor or highlighted text.
- Select the Data Type of the data that will result from the formula.
- If there is a specific format in which you want to see the resulting data, select it in the Display Format drop-down. Otherwise, leave the drop-down blank.
- Click Add.
- You'll now see the new column with the resulting data added to the report.